Thursday, April 27, 2006

Food Stamps

We had a cookout today and the girls were supposed to bring a dessert, so I got up this morning and got the stuff I needed to make my cake cookies. I had most of it at the house but I had to run to the Piggly Wiggly for eggs and cake mix. When I got to the cash register and she finished ringing me up she said "Food Stamps?". I was like "No, debit". She apologized and I told her it was no big deal but I was really pissed off. I left the store thinking- who does she think I am? Some poor black single mom without a job? I wonder if she would've said that if I was white. Why would someone assume for no reason that I was going to use food stamps?

Why did that make me so mad? Do I want to think that I'm better than single black mothers who have to use food stamps? Somehow, it straight up attacked my pride.

3 comments:

Ginny said...

i dig the pig!

David said...

good to read u are questioning ur emotions...tho i would have gone with simple frustration and degust with the labels society has caused us to place on people.

jeff said...

renee, i went to the citgo in motown and i wanted to use my card as a debit yesterday, and the cashier told me that the pin pad for a debit card was for food stamps, and when i asked him what it was for, he said that it was for food stamps. well, everywhere else i went before had it set up for debit cards. go figure. white people use food stamps too, my mom did for a while. aint not shame in the game!!