Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Rotten eggs

"Pain is God's megaphone to rouse a deaf universe"- C.S. Lewis. I listened to this guy talk about evil and ethics today while I was driving home to GA and I thought this quote was so good that I wrote it down as I was driving. That probably wasn't the safest decision I've ever made but oh well. I think the thing that keeps hitting me like a wave is that the world is so bad. Everyone looks like they're happy and they've got it together but if you ask them about their families or what's really going on in their lives, most people are one step shy of falling apart. I mean I feel like that sometimes and I'm a Christian. I think deep down everyone knows something is wrong with their hearts. It is impossible for anyone to do something with absolutely no self interest. Even if our motives are 90% pure, that 10% that's doing the good thing just to feel better about ourselves just ruins it. It's like if you were making a massive cake and you had to use 100 eggs- 90 of the eggs were good and 10 of them were bad. The 10 bad eggs ruin all the bad eggs when they're combined. Everyone tries to hide the blackness of their hearts with cute haircuts, good manners, hip clothes, iPods, movies, food- just name your drug of choice. Our hearts are deceived and lulled into a false peace. But pain is God's merciful beckoning to His people to step out of their self-deception and run into His arms. It's crazy when huge disasters like Sept. 11th, or Hurricane Katrina hit believers and non- believers alike cry out to God. Pain is Mercy.

No comments: