Wednesday, May 17, 2006

On blogs...

I feel like there has been much controversy recently about the inherent goodness of blogging. I've been thinking about it a little so I thought I'd voice my opinion. The blog in itself has no inherent goodness or evil. I have heard it said that blogs are self-indulgent. Blogs are not self-indulgent, people are self-indulgent and admittedly, sometimes the things they write on blogs are self-indulgent. Sometimes the things I say out loud are self-indulgent, that doesn't mean I'm not going to talk. If that were the rule the world would be silent. It can be annoying to read people's self-indulgent blogs and honestly it can be annoying to read my own self-indulgent blogs. I'm like- why did I write that! But whether I write it in my journal or for all the world to see I'm still going to feel it and eventually write it. It's part of the process, we're not perfect. Why not share you uncensored thoughts and ideas with your friends and let them shoot you straight. I have also heard it said that blogs serve as a substitute for real relationships. I don't know if I agree with that because I don't personally know anyone who sits at home and reads blogs on Saturday nights in the place of going out with friends. But I do know lots of people who read the blogs of friends who live far away and are able to keep in touch with them better and more frequently without awkward small talk and phone chatter. So keep blogging, feel free to say what you think is deep and what you feel deeply even if you end up looking stupid or sounding stupid it will give the rest of us opportunities to extend grace to you.

2 comments:

jeff said...

that sounds pretty good.(in a napoleon dynamite voice).
i would have to agree that it is good to hash it out. i enjoy the fact that my friends can read my thoughts.

Amanda said...

I agree, Renee. Well put.