Sunday, January 29, 2006

Fresh Ponderings

Oh friends! The ice is finally melting and I feel like I'm slowly coming up out of my two week slump (if you want to know what's been going on ask me, it's too boring for the blog). Anyways I'm reading this really interesting book called Total Truth by:Nancy R. Pearcy. The book is basically about Christian worldview, which is a topic that's really rocking my mind right now. Every semester my job requires me to do some kind of personal development so I'm reading this book and a couple of others and I'm going to write a paper on an aspect of worldview. I'm planning on writing my paper on the indispensability of gospel worldview as the fuel for world redemption through every vocation. If you have an opinion or can think of anything that might help me, let me know.

Here is a little sample of what I've been thinking about:
As a student I had the false perception that ministry jobs were somehow more spiritual than secular jobs. I thought that if I went into full-time ministry I’d somehow have a better shot at following Christ in the long run, and I guess I just thought that full-time ministry is what really committed Christians who walk with God do. And I was right, but I failed to realize that every Christian who truly has the mind of Christ is engaged in full-time ministry everyday. God has called every believer to continue His work of redeeming every area of life for His glory.
Our culture has somehow sold Christians the lie that if we are free to have bible studies, prayer meetings, and evangelistic outreaches that’s enough. Christian scientists, engineers, teachers, artists, and surgeons have been tricked into leaving their faith at the door as they enter into their 8 hour work day, accepting popular thought as neutral/ objective truth instead of using what they know and believe about God as the framework for their particular jobs. As a result Christian students think that the only way they can express their faith through their work is to be a preacher, campus minister, or a missionary. The church has been robbed of it’s arms and legs and subsequently lost its relevance in today’s culture, while churches and para-church ministries have unknowingly adopted cultural practices.

2 comments:

Jason Harmon said...

I got some stuff you can read if you run thin on Pearcy. I agree with the what you said by the way. I found myself kinda in a similar struggle getting out of school. Lotsa pressure to go on staff...but not being a professional Christian gives you a lot of room to be a sinner, and that's who God likes more anyway.
And...dang...anyone from montevallo not have a blog???

Anonymous said...

Oh Renee.
i need to be in bed, but i love you and glad that i updated myself on your life via blog.
i think blog sounds like a really fat lazy word... or a way one would describe themself on a rainy pajama pants day.
but aside from that, you are marvelous and your journal is making me laugh. especially all that stuff about flirting. you write and articulate so well.
shotty shotty shotty!
oh you make me laugh.
love,
ii