Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Layers

I ought to be asleep right now because I gotta get up early but I'd rather write. Its been a good day. I went to the Caf and collected Christmas Conference money, met with two girls, then I took one of the girls I meet with out for a very belated birthday dinner, and afterwards went and hung out with a few DG'S for a little while. Its crazy, the more I get involved in people's lives the more I learn. It seems like the people who seem the strongest, and the toughest are the most soft- hearted and sensitive. They put on that hard exterior because they don't want to get hurt. Today I was hanging out with one of the girls and she's just telling me about what's going on in her life and she keeps just losing it and crying, and I couldn't help but cry with her. To just about everyone on campus she's a girl who's witty and sarcastic. They think she's able to hold her own and that she won't take crap from anyone but it was so sweet for me to see her heart today. I think most people are like her, at least I am. We erect all sorts of walls whether it's witt and sarcasm, or silence, always having to look a certain way, or say things that are interesting and intelligent, making people laugh, or being really helpful. We're afraid that who we really are isn't enough, like once people peel back the layers of false identity all they'll find is a plain white piece of paper. It's funny though, when I see the honest, vulnerable, non-performance, non-selfconcious side of these ladies, it makes me love them more.

No comments: