Saturday, July 22, 2006

Up to Speed

I got back in town yesterday and its been good to be back. My time at home was so nice. The first week I just relaxed with my parents.They are hilarious in their own way. My dad's really quiet, he just retired but he was an engineer for over 35 years, I think he's a pretty smart guy. Then there's my mom who is crazy and outspoken and will talk to just about anyone about anything. They've got a really funny dynamic going on. Anyways they tag teamed me while I was home and convinced me that I need to write out a budget and stick to it, and that I really need to be careful about what I eat. They are so funny, at 4pm everyday they watch Oprah togteher. So one day she had this big show on nutrition and healthy eating so they taped it and showed it to me when I came home (they do this sort of thing all the time). Growing up the house was stocked with french fries, hamburgers, icecream, chips, and lots of other good tasting treats. But I opened up the freezer when I got home and all I found was sherbert. It's good though and I'm really proud of them. I think it's really important to be a good stewart of your body. Now they've got me reading food labels so that I know what I'm putting in my body. All these preservatives, chemicals, and hormones we put in our bodies are terrible. They're making us lethargic and fat (I'll blog about this more later).
The second week was full of friends and fun. I tracked down lots of old friends from high school and college and caught up with them. My friend Amanda even drove from Birmingham to come and visit me that weekend (she earned 10 friend points for that). I'd only planned on staying at home for 2 weeks but some of my friends from college convinced me to go to the beach with them for 3 days and I'm glad I did because some crazy stuff happened at the end of that third week and my family needed me to be there.
All this traveling and living in different places is so weird. I mean part of me likes it but part of me wishes I was settled somewhere but it's hard. Even during the school year I travel alot on the weekends whether it's work related, or visiting my friends or my family. My life here in Alabama is really centered on work, while most of the people that know me well live in various cities around Georgia, Nashville, TN, or Chicago,IL. I'm not doing such a good job of juggling all the relationships in my life. I'd like to have more of a life outside of work here in Alabama but I'm not sure if I really have the time for it.
I ran 9 miles this morning. It's my longest run so far and I really shouldn't call it a run - maybe a jog, by the end I seriously think people could have walked faster than I was running, but hey it got done. Then I drove down to the Fresh Market and bought some healthy, organic food and tonight I'm going to make dinner and watch movies. I'd love company- there's an open invitation for anyone who doesn't mind driving out here!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

10 friend points?! Wow! We're practically bff now.

Congratulations on the 9 miles! That's incredible. And don't worry about the pace ... you went 9 freaking miles.